This one-pan meal kicks classic Italian flavors up a notch with a cheesy stuffed chicken your family will request again and again.
Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Chicken with Roasted Broccoli
Makes 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh baby spinach (about 2 ounces)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 cup tomato-basil pasta sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Garnish: fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400°. Brush a 14-inch cast-iron baking pan with 1 tablespoon oil.
- In a medium bowl, stir together spinach, cream cheese, Parmesan, basil, and garlic until well combined. Using a small sharp knife, cut a horizontal slit into the thick side of each chicken breast, cutting to within ¼ inch of opposite side, to form a deep pocket. Sprinkle 1½ teaspoons salt and ¾ teaspoon pepper all over chicken. Stuff pockets with spinach mixture (about ¼ cup each). Place on prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss together broccoli, Italian seasoning, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Spread broccoli mixture in a single layer around chicken.
- Continue baking for 5 minutes. Spoon tomato sauce onto chicken; sprinkle with mozzarella. Continue baking until broccoli is tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest portion of chicken registers 165°, 5 to 8 minutes. Garnish with basil, if desired. Serve immediately.