These homemade tater tots are crispy, cheesy perfection.
Cheesy Tater Tots
Makes about 6 servings
- 3½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- ½ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- In a large Dutch oven, bring 3 teaspoons salt and 4 inches water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, cook until just softened, 6 to 7 minutes. Drain, and let cool to room temperature; finely shred potatoes.
- In a large bowl, stir together shredded potatoes, cheese, flour, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Scoop mixture by tablespoonfuls, and gently roll into tater tots.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Working in batches, add tater tots; fry until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels.