The name divan sounds fancy, but its humble ingredients come together in a snap to create this crowd-pleasing casserole.
Makes 6 servings
- 2 quarts water
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 4 cups fresh bite-size broccoli florets
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (8-ounce) package extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
- 1 cup plain fresh bread crumbs
- Hot cooked rice, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small cast-iron Dutch oven, bring 2 quarts water and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil over high heat. Add broccoli; cook until bright green, about 2 minutes. Drain broccoli, and transfer to an ice water bath. Let cool completely. Drain broccoli well; transfer to a large bowl.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and remaining 1 teaspoon salt until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in chicken broth until smooth; cook, whisking frequently, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low; whisk in 1½ cups cheese, sour cream, and pepper until melted and smooth. Stir cheese sauce, chicken, and pimientos into broccoli until well combined. Pour mixture into skillet.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in bread crumbs and remaining ½ cup cheese until combined. Sprinkle onto chicken mixture.
- Bake until top is golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve with rice.
KITCHEN TIP: One large rotisserie chicken yields 3 to 4 cups shredded meat.