This classic Southern meal is the perfect comfort food for when the days get shorter and cooler. When you use your favorite cast-iron skillet, your steak will be even more delicious and your skillet will benefit from another round of seasoning!
Chicken-Fried Steak with Milk Gravy Recipe
Yield: approximately 6 servings
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrates 0g
Dietary Fiber 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- 2 cups crushed saltine crackers
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1½ pounds cubed round steak, cut into 6 pieces
- 2 cups whole milk
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- In a shallow dish, combine ½ cup flour, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon pepper, and paprika, whisking together.
- In another shallow dish, combine 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and saltines.
- In a third shallow dish, whisk together buttermilk and egg.
- In a deep heavy-bottomed skillet or Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches; heat to 375° over medium heat.
- Working in batches, dredge steak pieces in flour, shaking gently to remove excess. Dip in egg mixture, allowing excess to run off. Coat steak pieces in cracker mixture, shaking gently to remove excess.
- Add steak pieces to skillet, 2 at a time, and fry until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side, adjusting heat to maintain temperature at 375° if necessary. Drain on paper towels. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet, and keep warm.
- Drain oil, reserving ¼ cup. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add remaining ¼ cup flour, whisking to combine. Cook until mixture thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add milk, whisking until smooth. Add remaining 1 teaspoon salt and remaining ½ teaspoon pepper to milk mixture. Cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, for 4 to 5 minutes. Serve gravy over steaks. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Southern Cast Iron https://www.southerncastiron.com/