With rotisserie chicken and a quick, stir-together cream sauce, you’ll have this all-in-one supper bubbling away in the oven in no time.
Chicken and Rice Casserole
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 2 cups Broccolini florets, halved lengthwise (if large)
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup chopped peeled carrot
- ¾ cup chopped red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups cooked long-grain white rice
- 2 cups coarsely crushed buttery round crackers
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Garnish: fresh thyme leaves, chopped fresh sage
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bring a 10-inch cast-iron skillet of water to a boil. Add Broccolini; cook for 1 minute. Drain and transfer to ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Drain well. Wipe skillet dry.
- In same skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add carrot; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in broth until smooth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cream cheese, mustard, salt, thyme, sage, and pepper until well combined. Gradually stir in chicken, rice, and Broccolini. (Skillet will be very full.)
- In a small bowl, stir together crackers and melted butter. Sprinkle onto chicken mixture.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with thyme and sage, if desired.