A hint of curry perfumes this stewed supper with a warm, cozy note of spice.
Chickpeas and Tomatoes
- 1 pound dried chickpeas*
- 3½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 (6-ounce) bag fresh baby spinach
- Garnish: ground black pepper
- Prepared peach chutney and French bread, to serve
- In a large bowl, combine chickpeas and water to cover by 3 inches. Let stand for 8 hours. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium saucepan, heat broth over medium-high heat until hot.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add chickpeas and hot broth. Cover and cook for 2 hours.
- In a medium bowl, stir together tomatoes and curry powder. Stir tomatoes into chickpea mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, stirring once, until chickpeas are tender, about 1 hour. Remove from oven. Add spinach in batches, stirring until wilted. Garnish with ground black pepper. Serve with peach chutney and French bread, if des
*We used Camellia.
Find more recipes like this one in our newest issue of Southern Cast Iron.