Corn sticks are always welcome at the table, but they’re even more delicious slathered with savory herb butter.
Chive Corn Sticks
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1¼ cups whole buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- Pinch kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place 2 (7-well) cast-iron corn stick pans in oven while preheating.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt; stir in ½ cup chives. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, and egg. Make a well in center of dry ingredients; stir in buttermilk mixture just until combined.
- Carefully remove hot pans from oven; spray with cooking spray. Carefully spoon batter into wells of hot pans.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together softened butter, pinch kosher salt, and remaining 2 tablespoons chives until combined. Serve with warm corn sticks.
If you don’t have corn stick pans, bake the batter in a preheated 8-inch cast-iron skillet.