Chunks of chocolate, sweet cranberries, and crunchy pecans make this our new favorite monkey bread.
Chocolate-Cranberry Monkey Bread
Serves: 8 Servings
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
- Master Dough (recipe follows)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- Rum Sauce (recipe follows)
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Spray a 12-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, whisk together . cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. In a small bowl, toss cranberries with remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar.
- Gently punch down Master Dough, and divide into 24 pieces. Stuff each piece with 2 teaspoons chocolate chunks, and roll into balls. Dip balls in Rum Sauce to coat, and dredge in sugar mixture. Arrange dough balls in prepared skillet; sprinkle with cranberries and pecans. Pour ? cup Rum Sauce over dough.
- Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until puffed, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes, covering with foil halfway through baking to prevent excess browning. Let cool for 10 minutes. Drizzle with additional warmed Rum Sauce, if desired.
Serves: 2½ cups
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup dark rum
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons cane syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Let cool slightly before using.
Serves: 1 (10- to 12-inch) loaf or 7 rolls
- 1 cup warm whole milk (105° to 110°), divided
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 3 ½ to 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 ¼
- In a medium bowl,
combine .cup warm milk and yeast. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together melted butter, sugar, sour cream, egg, and
remaining ¼cup warm milk.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3. cups flour and salt. Add half of
flourmixture to butter mixture. With mixeron low speed, add yeast mixture, beating just until combined. Beat in remaining flour mixture. Switch to the dough hook attachment. Beat at medium speed until dough is smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes, adding remaining ¼cup flour if needed. (Dough should not be sticky.)
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Loosely cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 1 hour.