A judicious amount of whiskey adds a depth of flavor to this rich cake.
Chocolate Snockers Cake
Makes 8 servings
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 2 tablespoons straight rye whiskey
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar, chopped pecans
- Vanilla bean ice cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray the wells of a cast-iron wedge pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Add egg, milk, whiskey, oil, vanilla, and water, stirring until combined. Fold in pecans. Divide batter among wells in prepared pan.
- Bake until center is fully cooked, about 25 minutes. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if desired. Serve with ice cream. Sprinkle with additional pecans, if desired.