This dense and gorgeously swirled cake is the perfect partner for hot cocoa or tea.
Chocolate-Vanilla Swirl Pound Cake
Makes 8 servings
- ¼ cup bittersweet chocolate morsels
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 300°. Spray an 8½x4½-inch cast-iron loaf pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate morsels on medium in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted and smooth (about 1½ minutes total). Let cool.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add sugars and vanilla; beat 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined. Spoon 2 cups vanilla batter into a medium bowl; stir in milk. Add melted chocolate and cocoa to remaining batter in large bowl; beat until combined.
- Alternately drop batters by heaping tablespoonfuls into prepared pan; gently swirl batters together using the tip of a knife. Tap pan twice on counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 30 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan; invert onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.