Subtly spicy chorizo melds perfectly with beef to yield the ultimate burger. The fried egg takes it over the top.
Chorizo-Beef Burgers with Double Crispy Fries
Serves: 8 servings
- 1 pound fresh chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 8 large eggs, divided
- 8 hamburger buns, halved
- Honey mustard, sliced tomato, arugula, and sliced avocado, to serve
- Double Crispy Fries (recipe follows)
- Let chorizo and beef stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Crack 4 eggs into skillet, and fry, turning once, until desired degree of doneness is reached. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and remaining 4 eggs.
- In a large bowl, combine sausage and beef. Divide mixture into 8 portions, and shape into patties.
- Working in batches, add patties to skillet; cook, turning occasionally, until well browned and a meat thermometer inserted in center registers 165°, 7 to 10 minutes. Let drain on paper towels.
- Spread top half of buns with mustard. Place burger patties on bottom half of buns. Top with fried eggs, tomato, arugula, and avocado. Cover with top half of buns. Serve immediately with Double Crispy Fries.
Double Crispy Fries
Serves: 8 servings
Want to know the secret to homemade fries? Fry them twice for unbeatable crunch.
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 3 russet potatoes
- Kosher salt to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 4 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 320°.
- Using a mandoline, slice potatoes. Fry cut potatoes in batches until cooked through but not browned, about 3 minutes. Remove from oil, and let drain on paper towels.
- Increase oil temperature to 360°. Fry potatoes again in batches until browned and crisp, about 3 minutes. Remove from oil, and let drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.