Fire-roasted tomatoes give this soup a subtle smoky flavor that we love.
Chunky Fire-Roasted Tomato Soup
Makes about 2 quarts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 1½ tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1½ tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: fresh basil
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour until well combined; cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in chicken stock until combined. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, Italian seasoning, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 20 to 30 minutes. Garnish with basil, if desired.