This sweet and crumbly cake is soaked with bright citrus flavor.
Citrus Upside Down Cake
Makes 1 (10-inch) cake
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 orange, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 (8.5-ounce) packages corn muffin mix*
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup whole buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Remove from heat. Sprinkle brown sugar over melted butter. Arrange citrus slices over brown sugar in skillet. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together corn muffin mix, granulated sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and zest until well combined. Pour batter over citrus slices.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cool in pan for
- minutes. Carefully invert onto a flat serving plate.
*We used Jiffy brand corn muffin mix.