Thanks to cast iron, these cornsticks will be crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside.
Classic Cornbread Sticks
Serves: Makes about 14
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Softened butter, to serve
- Preheat oven to 425°. Brush wells of 2 (7-stick) cast-iron cornstick pans with melted butter. Place pans in oven to preheat for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, ¾ teaspoon salt, and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, and egg. Make a well in center of dry ingredients; stir in buttermilk mixture just until combined.
- Carefully remove hot pans from oven. Sprinkle wells with remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Divide batter among prepared wells.
- Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from pan immediately. Serve with butter, if desired.