We kicked these brownies up a notch by adding dark roast coffee to both the batter and the glaze to enhance the chocolate flavor.
Coffee Brownies with Coffee Glaze
Serves: 4 servings
- 1⅓ cups plus 1½ teaspoons sugar, divided
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon dark roast ground coffee
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate morsels
- Coffee Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 325°. Lightly spray 4 (5-inch) cast-iron skillets with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1⅓ cups sugar, flour, cocoa, coffee, salt, and baking powder. Add melted butter, eggs, and vanilla; stir until combined. Stir in chocolate. Divide batter among prepared skillets. Sprinkle with remaining 1½ teaspoons sugar.
- Bake until puffed and tops feel dry to the touch, about 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Drizzle with Coffee Glaze.
Serves: About ½ cup
- ¼ cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons dark roast ground coffee
- 1¼ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon whole milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup hot water and coffee; let stand for 5 minutes. Strain, reserving 2 tablespoons brewed coffee.
- In a small bowl, stir together reserved 2 tablespoons brewed coffee, confectioners’ sugar, melted butter, milk, and vanilla until combined. Drizzle over brownies.