Coffee and cocoa work in harmony to create a robustly flavored crust for this juicy flank steak.
Coffee-Crusted Flank Steak
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 to 2½ pounds flank steak
- Corn tortillas and pico de gallo, to serve
- In a small bowl, whisk together espresso powder, cocoa, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt, mustard, and pepper.
- Rub spice mixture all over flank steak, coating well. Tightly wrap steak in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 12 hours.
- Unwrap steak, and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill steak, turning occasionally, until browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of steak registers 130° for medium-rare, about 10 minutes per side, or to desired degree of doneness. Let stand for 10 minutes; slice against the grain. Serve in tortillas with pico de gallo.
This flank steak is also excellent piled into buns with caramelized onions.