This easy side can be made ahead and reheated.
Cranberry Apple Rice Pilaf
Serves: 4 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small Honeycrisp apple, cored and diced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped toasted pecans
- Garnish: chopped fresh rosemary
- In a small cast-iron Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in rice; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in broth, apple, cranberries, rosemary, salt, pepper, and cinnamon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in pecans with a fork. Garnish with rosemary, if desired.