With a Key lime pie-style custard and a tart cranberry jam top, this pie is worth saving room for dessert.
Cranberry Cream Pie
Serves: 1 (9-inch) pie
- 1¾ cups finely ground speculoos or gingersnap cookies (about 8 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup fresh orange juice, divided
- ¼ cup bottled Key lime juice
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- Garnish: Sugared Cranberries (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cookie crumbs, brown sugar, and melted butter until crumbs are moistened. Using a dry measuring cup, press mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together condensed milk, ½ cup orange juice, lime juice, and eggs. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to simmer and thicken, about 8 minutes. (Whisk should leave a trace when moved through mixture.) Immediately pour into prepared crust. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small enamel-coated cast-iron Dutch oven, bring cranberries, granulated sugar, and remaining ½ cup orange juice to a boil over medium heat; cook until cranberries have burst and liquid is syrupy, about 10 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing solids to release as much liquid as possible; reserve liquid, and discard solids. Spread cranberry liquid onto pie filling. Refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 6 hours before serving or for up to 24 hours. Garnish with Sugared Cranberries just before serving, if desired.
Serves: About 1 cup
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
- ½ cup sparkling sugar
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- In a small saucepan, bring ½ cup water and granulated sugar to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in cranberries, and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain, reserving syrup for another use. Spread cranberries on prepared pan. Let dry for 1 hour.
- Place sparkling sugar in a shallow dish. Roll cranberries in sugar until fully coated. Return to wax paper. Use within 6 hours.