This simple stir-together cake combines tart cranberries and fragrant citrus for a bright addition to your fall baking.
Cranberry-Orange Skillet Cake
Makes 1 (10-inch) cake
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups fresh or well-drained thawed frozen cranberries, divided (see Kitchen Tip)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in oven to preheat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ¾ cup sugar, cornmeal, salt, zest, baking powder, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla until well combined. Make a well in center of flour mixture; stir in egg mixture just until combined.
- Carefully remove hot skillet from oven; add 1 tablespoon butter, swirling skillet to coat. Working quickly, spread half of batter in skillet. Sprinkle 1 cup cranberries onto batter. Gently spread remaining batter onto cranberries, spreading almost to edge of skillet. Top with remaining 1 cup cranberries. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar onto cranberries.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon sugar onto hot cake. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.
KITCHEN TIP-If you use thawed frozen cranberries for this cake, pat them dry with paper towels after draining to minimize color bleeding into the cake batter.