Brimming with rich, earthy flavor, this cozy soup is exactly what we crave when the weather gets cool.
Creamy Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
Makes about 2 quarts
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large carrots, halved lengthwise and chopped crosswise
- 2 stalks celery, halved lengthwise and chopped crosswise
- 1½ cups chopped leeks (white and light green parts only)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup wild rice blend*
- 1 (32-ounce) carton chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery, leeks, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until leeks are softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in rice; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Stir in stock, 2 cups water, thyme, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and mushroom soup; simmer, uncovered, until rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in parsley just before serving.
*We used Lundberg Wild Blend Rice.