This deliciously comforting soup, flecked with green chiles and cumin, is equal parts luxurious and exotic.
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Serves: 2 quarts
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ cups chopped red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (4-ounce) cans hot diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 2¼ teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- Garnish: fresh oregano leaves
- In a medium Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with ¾ teaspoon salt and pepper. Add chicken, onion, and garlic to pot; cook, stirring frequently, until outside of chicken is no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over chicken mixture; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in beans, broth, chiles, cumin, and remaining ¾ teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to mediumlow; simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and onion is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add cream cheese and oregano; stir until smooth. Garnish with oregano, if desired. Serve immediately.