Creole Soft Pretzels
- 1¼ cups warm water (105° to 110°)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 4 cups bread flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- Crawfish boil seasoning
- Flaked sea salt
- Creole Mustard Dip (recipe follows)
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1¼ cups warm water, molasses, and yeast. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, stir together 3½ cups flour, oil, and salt. Add yeast mixture, and beat at low speed until dough comes together. Increase mixer speed to medium-low, and beat for 5 minutes, adding enough remaining ½ cup flour until a soft dough forms and pulls away from side of bowl.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draftfree place (75°) until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line cast-iron baking pans with parchment paper.
- Punch down dough. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 16 equal portions, and shape each portion into a rope about 14 inches long. Fold each rope in half and twist or knot, and place on prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 2 tablespoons water; brush onto dough.
- Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on pans for 5 minutes. Brush pretzels with melted butter; sprinkle with crawfish seasoning and sea salt. Serve immediately with Creole Mustard Dip.
Creole Mustard Dip
Serves: About 1½ cups
- ½ cup Creole mustard
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- ½ tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons ranch dressing mix
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.