This pizza has got it all.
Deep Dish Pork and Collard Greens Pizza
- ¾ cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ¼ cup plain cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3 cups chopped fresh collard greens
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1⅓ cups shredded smoked Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons plain cornmeal
- 1 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
- For crust: In a large bowl, combine ¾ cup warm water, yeast, and sugar; let stand 5 minutes or until foamy. Add olive oil, 2 cups flour, cornmeal, and salt; stir until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, approximately 6 minutes. (Add remaining ¼ cup flour, 2 teaspoons at a time, to keep dough from sticking.) Place dough in a medium bowl; spray top of dough with nonstick cooking spray. Cover, and let rise in a warm draft-free place (85°) until doubled in size, approximately 45 minutes.
- For filling: In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add pork; cook until browned and crumbly, approximately 7 minutes. Add collard greens, fennel seed, red pepper, tomatoes, and vinegar; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in ⅓ cup Cheddar.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Brush bottom only of a 10-inch (2-inch-deep) cast-iron skillet with remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil; sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Lightly punch down dough. Cover, and let stand 5 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 13-inch circle. Fold dough into quarters; place in prepared skillet. Unfold dough; lightly press into bottom and up sides of skillet. Add pork mixture; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup Cheddar and mozzarella.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 17 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.