Now you can make this classic steakhouse appetizer at home, Southern style, with sweet Georgia onions and a spicy kick.
Deep-Fried Vidalia Onion Blooms
- 2 large Vidalia onions
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 gallon vegetable oil
- Spicy Dipping Sauce (recipe follows)
Spicy Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- Peel onions, and cut ¼ inch of top of each, making sure to leave root end intact. Place an onion, root end down, in a 4-inch round cookie cutter. Cut onion into quarters, using the cutter as a guide to stop your knife from cutting all the way through. Cut each quarter into 3 sections, creating petals. Remove onion from cutter, and place cut side down. Carefully cut each petal segment to within ¼ inch from root base, if nescessary. Turn onion over, and gently begin to separate layers. Remove any small pieces from center that have come loose. Repeat with remaining onion.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour and Cajun seasoning. Place onion, cut side up, in bowl. Gently pull apart each petal, and sprinkle with flour mixture. Gently turn onion over, and shake out excess.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Place onion, cut side up, in egg mixture; spoon mixture between petals, and turn onion until fully coated. Let excess drip off. Return to flour mixture, and coat in mixture again, shaking of excess. Repeat with remaining onion. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven, add oil leaving 2 inches between oil and top of pot; heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375°.
- Using a fry spider or large metal slotted spoon, gently and slowly lower onion, cut side down, into hot oil. Fry for 2 minutes; carefully turn onion, and fry until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove from oil, and let drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining onion. Serve immediately with Spicy Dipping Sauce.
Spicy Dipping Sauce
- In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients until combined. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 1 week.