Colorful, seasonal veggies are right at home layered with melty mozzarella, a creamy spread, sun-dried tomatoes, and hearty grilled sourdough bread slices.
Double-Decker Grilled Veggie Panini
- 1 large eggplant, sliced ¼ inch thick lengthwise
- 1 large yellow squash, sliced ¼ inch thick lengthwise
- 1 large zucchini, sliced ¼ inch thick lengthwise
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps
- 4 green onions
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 (5.2-ounce) package herbed cheese spread
- 12 slices sourdough sandwich bread
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup packed large fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup sun-dried tomato spread
- ¾ cup canned artichoke hearts, drained well and coarsely chopped
- 2 to 3 roasted red peppers, cut into wide strips
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Heat a large cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat. Lightly spray cooking spray onto both sides of eggplant, squash, zucchini, mushrooms, and green onions; sprinkle salt all over vegetables. Grill vegetables in batches as needed, turning occasionally, until browned and just soft, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove vegetables from grill; halve mushrooms and green onions.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon herbed cheese onto one side of 4 bread slices; top each with 1 slice mozzarella. Divide eggplant, squash, zucchini, and half of basil leaves among mozzarella slices. Spread about 1 tablespoon tomato spread onto one side of 4 bread slices; place bread on top of basil leaves, spread side down.
- Spread remaining herbed cheese on top of bread slices of sandwiches; top each with 2 green onion halves, 2 mushroom halves, artichokes, roasted peppers, remaining mozzarella, and remaining basil leaves. Spread remaining tomato spread onto remaining bread slices; place on sandwiches, spread side down. Brush oil onto sandwiches.
- Carefully transfer sandwiches to grill pan; place an empty cast-iron skillet on top of sandwiches to press them down. Cook sandwiches over medium heat until bread is toasted, cheese is melted, and sandwiches are heated through, about 5 minutes per side. Serve immediately.