Next time a cheese craving strikes, skip the box and stir up this incredibly creamy classic.
Easy Smoky Mac and Cheese
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup diced pasteurized processed cheese, such as Velveeta
- 1 (16-ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk, salt, smoked paprika, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, 2 minutes. Stir in cheeses until melted. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cooked pasta. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.