Make your Christmas morning merrier with a skilletful of these ooey-gooey rolls.
Eggnog Sweet Rolls
- 3½ to 3¾ cups all-purpose flour divided
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 (0 25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup prepared eggnog
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter cubed
- ¼ cup water
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup prepared eggnog, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons water
- Garnish: ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1½ cups flour, granulated sugar, yeast, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a small saucepan, cook eggnog, butter, and ¼ cup water over medium-low heat until mixture registers to 120° to 130° on an instant-read thermometer (butter does not need to melt completely). Add eggnog mixture to flour mixture, and beat with a mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg; beat at high speed for 2 minutes. With mixer on low speed, gradually beat in enough remaining 2 to 2¼ cups flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface, and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, 6 to 8 minutes. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray; add dough to bowl, turning to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Spray a 10-inch round cast-iron skillet with baking spray with flour. Punch down dough. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface; roll dough to a 15×10-inch rectangle.
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar and cinnamon. Brush melted butter onto dough, leaving a ½-inch border on one long side. Sprinkle sugar mixture onto butter. Starting at long side without border, tightly roll up dough into a log, pinching seam to seal. Using a serrated knife, cut log into 10 (1½-inch-thick) slices. Place slices, cut side up, in prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggnog and butter with a mixer at medium speed until combined. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating at low speed smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Beat in water, 1 teaspoon at a time, if needed to reach a spreadable consistency. Spread onto warm rolls. Garnish with nutmeg, if desired. Serve warm.
If you like the center of your sweet rolls to bake up tall, slightly push up the center of the dough rolls on the underside before placing in the skillet.