Packed with sunflower, poppy, flax, sesame, and fennel seeds, these rolls taste like everything bagels.
- 2⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1⅓ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup warm water (105° to 110°)
- ¼ cup warm whole milk (105° to 110°)
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 2½ tablespoons poppy seeds, divided
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1½ teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon diced onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, stir together flours, 1 cup warm water, warm milk, honey, butter, salt, yeast, and onion powder. Beat at medium speed until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add sunflower seeds, 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, and flax seeds, beating until combined.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 5 times. Shape dough into a ball. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover directly with plastic wrap, and let stand in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Divide dough into 16 pieces; shape into balls. Place . inch apart in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet. Cover and let stand in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 teaspoon water. In another small bowl, combine sesame seeds, fennel seeds, garlic salt, onion flakes, sea salt, and remaining ½ tablespoon poppy seeds. Brush rolls with egg wash; sprinkle with seed mix.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Serve with Green Onion Spread.
Green Onion Spread
Serves: 1 cup
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese, butter, green onion, salt, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Find more delicious recipes like this one in our newest issue of Southern Cast Iron.