Setting out cookies and milk for Santa could be a thing of the past—try your hand at these super-simple buttermilk scones for a holiday treat that’s as tasty as it is colorful.
Festive Sprinkle Scones
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons assorted holiday sprinkles, divided
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cold cream cheese, cubed
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon cold whole buttermilk, divided
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a cast-iron wedge pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons sprinkles, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter and cream cheese until mixture is crumbly. Stir ½ cup cold buttermilk into flour mixture just until dough comes together.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently knead dough just until it comes together, 6 to 8 times. Pat dough into a 6-inch circle; cut into 8 wedges. Place wedges in wells of prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and remaining 1 tablespoon buttermilk until smooth. Drizzle onto scones, and top with remaining 1 tablespoon sprinkles. Let stand until glaze is set, about 15 minutes. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.