Pork rinds folded into the salad and sprinkled on top provide a pleasant crunch while field peas bring an earthy sweetness to this creamy side dish.
Field Pea Potato Salad
Serves: 6 cups
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons plus 1¾ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ pounds small red potatoes, cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 1 pound pink-eyed peas
- ¾ cup crushed pork rinds
- Garnish: fresh dill, pork rinds
- In a large bowl, stir together mayonnaise, onion, dill, mustard, 1¾ teaspoons salt, vinegar, and pepper.
- In a medium cast-iron Dutch oven, bring potatoes, 1 tablespoon salt, and water to cover by 1 inch to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain; add to bowl with mayonnaise mixture.
- In same Dutch oven, bring peas, water to cover by 1 inch, and remaining 1 tablespoon salt to a boil over mediumhigh heat. Reduce heat to medium; boil until peas are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain; combine with potatoes and mayonnaise mixture. Fold in pork rinds just before serving. Garnish with dill and pork rinds, if desired.