Fried until crisp and dusted with confectioners’ sugar, these miniature pies are absolutely irresistible.
Fried Berry Hand Pies
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- 1½ cups fresh blackberries
- ⅔ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1 (14.1 ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- In a medium cast-iron skillet, combine blueberries, blackberries, brown sugar, butter, cornstarch, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Cook over medium-high heat until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 3 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll one piecrusts. Unroll the other piecrust and place it on top; gently press to make them stick together. Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut 8 rounds. Place about 1 tablespoon berry filling in center of each round. Brush edges of dough with beaten egg. Fold dough over filling, and press edges to seal. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Fry 1 to 2 pies at a time until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Let drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners’ sugar while still warm. Serve immediately.