We swapped the usual sautéed chicken breasts for breaded cutlets with a deliciously crunchy exterior that soaks up every drop of the signature wine and mushroom sauce.
Fried Chicken Marsala
Makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 (5-ounce) frozen breaded chicken cutlets*
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ⅔ cup Marsala wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Mashed potatoes, to serve
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add frozen cutlets to skillet; cook until browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet.
- In skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, shallots, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are just soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in broth, wine, and thyme; cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is reduced and slightly thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in cream; cook until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Return chicken to skillet; cook until heated through. Serve with mashed potatoes. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
*We used Bell & Evans Frozen Breaded Chicken Patties.