These wings are perfect for a summer picnic, or try serving them with buttermilk waffles for a spicy breakfast upgrade.
Fried Chicken Wings with Warm Spicy Honey
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons onion powder
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- 24 chicken drummettes
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Warm Spicy Honey (recipe follows)
- In a large shallow dish, whisk together flour, salt, pepper, and onion powder. In a medium bowl, place buttermilk. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip in buttermilk, letting excess drip off. Dredge in flour mixture again, pressing to adhere. Place on a wire rack.
- Fill a large deep cast-iron skillet halfway with oil, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- Fry chicken in batches (do not overcrowd skillet) until golden brown and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes (adjusting heat to maintain 350°).
- Remove chicken using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with Warm Spicy Honey.
Warm Spicy Honey
Serves: 1 Cup
- 1 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small saucepan, cook all ingredients over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally until warm, about 10 minutes.