Fried Coconut Catfish Nuggets
Serves: 4-6 servings
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 11⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 11⁄2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 11⁄2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 11⁄2 teaspoons plus
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 11⁄2 pounds catfish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2⁄3 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground chili paste*
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- In a shallow dish, place eggs. In another shallow dish, stir together flour, coconut, bread crumbs, 11⁄2 teaspoons salt, and pepper. Working in batches, dip fish into eggs, then into flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°. Cook fish in batches until golden brown, about
- minutes, turning occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together marmalade, 2 tablespoons water, chili paste, soy sauce, green onion, and remaining 1⁄8 teaspoon salt. Serve with catfish.
*We used Sambal Oelek
We love the sweet crunch that coconut gives these bite-sized pieces of fried catfish.