Tart, crispy, and hot from the skillet, these fried green tomatoes are a summer treat.
Fried Green Tomatoes
Serves: 6 servings
- 6 medium green tomatoes (about 21⁄2 to 3 pounds), sliced 1⁄2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 3 cups stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Garnish: crumbled cooked bacon
- Buttermilk-Dill Dressing, to serve
- Place tomato slices on a wire rack over a baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together buttermilk and hot sauce. In a shallow pan, whisk together cornmeal, flour, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and remaining 1 tablespoon salt.
- Dip each tomato slice in buttermilk mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Dredge in cornmeal mixture, gently pressing mixture into tomatoes. Repeat procedure once for each tomato slice. Return tomatoes to prepared rack.
- In a large deep cast-iron skillet, pour oil to halfway full, and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 360°. Working in batches, carefully place tomatoes in hot oil, being careful to avoid overcrowding pan. Fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. (Adjust heat as needed to maintain 360°.) Remove tomatoes with a slotted spoon; let drain on prepared rack. Garnish with bacon, if desired. Serve with Buttermilk-Dill Dressing.
Serves: about 2 cups
- 11⁄4 cups whole buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.