Fried oysters add a richness and depth of flavor to the gravy balanced by a touch of acidity from the lemon vinaigrette. Recipe adapted, with permission, from Nina Compton.
Fried Gulf Oysters with Oyster Gravy
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium mirliton, seeded and grated
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- ¾ cup plain yellow cornmeal
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Jerk Spice (recipe follows)
- 22 select fresh oysters, shucked and drained
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Lemon Vinaigrette Rice (recipe follows)
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives
- In a medium cast-iron skillet, whisk together whole wheat flour and oil over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until
a dark roux forms, about 20 minutes. Add mirliton; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large deep cast-iron skillet, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornmeal, all-purpose flour, and Jerk Spice. Working in batches, dredge oysters in cornmeal mixture until well coated, shaking off excess. Place oysters in hot oil, and fry until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Let drain on paper towels; keep warm.
- In the container of a blender, pulse together mirliton mixture, 6 fried oysters, cream, lemon juice, salt, and Worcestershire until puréed. Return mixture to medium skillet; heat until warmed and thickened.
- To serve, place Lemon Vinaigrette Rice on serving plates. Top with oyster gravy and fried oysters. Serve with lemon wedges, and garnish with chives, if desired.
- 1½ tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons ground allspice
- 1½ teaspoons ground red pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks.
Lemon Vinaigrette Rice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups jasmine rice, cooked according to package directions
- In a small bowl, whisk together oils, lemon juice, sugar, 1½ teaspoons water, and salt. Stir in cooked rice. Serve immediately.