This massive sweet roll is sure to wow a Christmas crowd.
Giant Cinnamon Roll
Makes about 6 servings
- Master Dough (recipe below)
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons bourbon
- 2 teaspoons whole milk
- Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray. Gently punch down Master Dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 22x9-inch rectangle.
- For filling: Spread butter onto dough. In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle sugar mixture over butter; press sugar mixture into butter.
- Cut dough crosswise into 4 (2¼-inch-wide) strips. Tightly roll 1 strip of dough into a spiral. Place in center of prepared skillet. Wrap remaining strips of dough around spiral in skillet.
- Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until puffed and dough reaches top of skillet, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 minutes, covering with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- For icing: In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed until creamy, 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce speed to low; gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until fluffy. Stir in bourbon and milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Drizzle over warm cinnamon roll.
Makes enough dough for 1 (10- to 12-inch) loaf or 7 rolls
- 1 cup warm whole milk (105° to 110°), divided
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 3 ½ to 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, combine ¾ cup warm milk and yeast. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together melted butter, sugar, sour cream, egg, and remaining ¼ cup warm milk.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3½ cups flour and salt. Add half of flour mixture to butter mixture. With mixer on low speed, add yeast mixture, beating just until combined. Beat in remaining flour mixture. Switch to the dough hook attachment. Beat at medium speed until dough is smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes, adding remaining ½ cup flour if needed. (Dough should not be sticky.)
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Loosely cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Find more holiday favorites in our newest issue of Southern Cast Iron magazine.