These spiced cake wedges are drizzled with an easy stir-together molasses glaze.
Gingerbread Wedges with Molasses Glaze
Makes 8 servings
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray wells of a cast-iron wedge pan with baking spray with flour
- For cake: In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add molasses, egg, and vanilla, beating just until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, allspice, and cloves. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Divide batter among prepared wells.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool completely.
- For glaze: In a medium bowl, whisk confectioners’ sugar, milk, and molasses until smooth. Drizzle over cooled wedges.