Our stir-as-you-go recipe bakes one cake layer at a time, so you can easily make this showstopping cake even if you only have one skillet.
Gooey Gingerbread Layer Cake
Serves: 1 (10-inch) cake
- 4¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup unsulphured molasses
- 3 large eggs, divided
- ¾ cup canola oil, divided
- 2 (4-ounce) bars dark chocolate
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 9 tablespoons hot caramel topping, slightly warmed
- 1½ cups chopped candied pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 10-inch cast iron skillet with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cloves. In a large liquid measuring cup, whisk together milk and molasses.
- In a medium bowl, place one-third flour mixture (about 2¼ cups); make a well in center of flour mixture. Add one-third milk mixture (about 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons), 1 egg, and ¼ cup oil. Whisk together until well combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 27 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Wipe skillet clean, and spray with baking spray with flour. Repeat two more times with remaining flour mixture, milk mixture, eggs, and oil.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate and cream on high in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted and smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Place one cooled cake layer on a serving plate. Spread one-third chocolate mixture onto cake. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons caramel. Sprinkle with ½ cup pecans. Repeat with remaining cake layers, chocolate, caramel, and pecans. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving or for up to 3 days. Slice cake with a hot knife.