Inspired by Italian panzanella, this hearty salad brings a taste of the South’s winter bounty to the table.
Greens and Cornbread Salad
Serves: 6 servings
- 7 cups (1-inch) cubed cornbread
- 3 cups chopped stemmed fresh kale
- 3 cups chopped fresh beet greens
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 1 cup halved assorted cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- Tangy Buttermilk Dressing (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Spread cornbread cubes onto a baking sheet; bake until toasted, about 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together toasted cornbread cubes, kale, beet greens, arugula, tomatoes, and onion. Drizzle with Tangy Buttermilk Dressing; toss gently. Serve immediately.
Tangy Buttermilk Dressing
Serves: 1 cup
- ¾ cup whole buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon pepper sauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until combined. Refrigerate for up to 2 days.