Bacon, Spinach, Gouda, and a Fried Egg make this the ultimate Grilled Cheese.
Grilled Cheese with Bacon, Spinach, Gouda, and Fried Egg
Serves: 4 servings
- 8 slices 5-grain bread, divided
- 4 ounces sliced Gouda cheese
- 8 slices cooked thick-cut bacon
- 4 tablespoons pickled jalapeños
- 2 cups spinach
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 4 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- On half of bread slices, place 1 ounce Gouda, 2 slices bacon, 1 tablespoon jalapeño, and ½ cup spinach. Top with remaining bread slices.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches, and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn, and cook until cheese is melted and both sides are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes more. Repeat procedure with 2 tablespoons butter and remaining 2 sandwiches.
- Wipe skillet clean, and melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Crack eggs into skillet, leaving room between each; season with pepper. Cook until white is set. Remove from skillet, and place on top of sandwiches. Serve immediately.
Find more great recipes like this one in Southern Cast Iron’s Winter 2017 issue!