Jazz up a dinnertime staple with these bright citrus-and spice-infused quick-cooking breasts.
Grilled Pineapple-Ginger Chicken
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed and divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ cups pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into ½-inch-thick rings
- Roughly chop 2 green onions; reserve remaining onions.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine chopped green onion, chicken, pineapple juice, ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, and red pepper. Seal bag; shake well to combine. Refrigerate, turning bag occasionally, for 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from bag, discarding marinade. Pat chicken dry with paper towels; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large cast-iron grill pan over medium heat. Rub oil all over chicken; sprinkle salt all over chicken.
- Grill chicken, turning occasionally, until browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 160°, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill pineapple and remaining green onions, turning occasionally, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Serve chicken with pineapple and green onion.
Do not marinate the chicken longer than 2 hours; the acid in the pineapple juice will start to break down the chicken and turn it mealy. If your chicken breasts are large, you can flatten the thicker portion slightly for more even cooking.