With vibrant color and the summer’s freshest flavors, this salad can be served hot off the grill or made ahead and refrigerated until ready to serve.
Grilled Shrimp and Tomato Salad
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 8 (¾-inch-thick) slices peeled cantaloupe
- 1 pound extra-large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 2 pounds assorted medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup torn fresh cilantro
- ⅓ cup crumbled queso fresco
- Chipotle-Lime Dressing (recipe follows), and grilled lime wedges, to serve
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- ½ cup fresh lime juice (about 4 large limes)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat; brush with 1 tablespoon oil. Lightly brush cantaloupe with 1 tablespoon oil. Grill cantaloupe until grill marks form, about 1 minute per side. Remove from grill.
- Brush grill with 1 tablespoon oil. Toss shrimp with remaining 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and chile pepper. Grill shrimp until pink and firm, 1½ to 2 minutes per side. Remove from grill.
- On a large serving platter, arrange heirloom and cherry tomatoes and cantaloupe; sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Top with shrimp. Sprinkle with cilantro and queso fresco. Serve with Chipotle-Lime Dressing and grilled lime wedges, if desired.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime zest and juice, sugar, salt, and chile pepper. Slowly whisk in oil. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days, whisking before serving.