Cornbread dressing meets bread pudding in this delicious mashup of Southern flavors.
Ham-Gruyère Cornbread Bread Puddings
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups (½-inch) cubes cornbread
- 1 (7-ounce) jar diced pimiento peppers, drained
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup cooked ham, cubed
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese, divided Garnish: ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 6 (9-ounce) cast-iron gratin dishes with cooking spray; place on a large rimmed baking sheet
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream, and pepper. Gently stir in cornbread, pimientos, spinach, ham, ¾ cup cheese, and cooked onion until combined. Carefully spoon into prepared dishes. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese.
- Bake until golden brown and center is set, 35 to 40 minutes. Garnish with pepper, if desired.
You can bake this bread pudding recipe in a 1½-quart baking dish.
Find more delicious cast iron recipes in our newest issue of Southern Cast Iron.