Two of our favorite comfort foods come together for the ultimate weeknight dish.
Hamburger Steak Skillet Casserole
Serves: 5 to 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen pearl onions
- 2 (8-ounce) packages baby portobello mushrooms, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can condensed French onion soup
- 1 cup beef broth
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (24-ounce) bags frozen mashed potatoes, such as Ore-Ida Steam-n-Mash
- 2 cups shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper, stirring until beef is browned and crumbly and vegetables are tender, approximately 6 minutes. Add flour to skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add tomato, soup, broth, ⅓ cup parsley, vinegar, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to broil. Prepare potatoes according to package directions. In a large bowl, stir together cooked potatoes, cheese, milk, and butter until smooth. Spoon mashed potatoes over ground beef mixture.
- Broil until topping is golden brown, approximately 5 minutes. Garnish with remaining 1 tablespoon chopped parsley.