Serve this sweet and sour shrimp with a little slice of paradise in your own backyard.
Hawaiian Coconut Shrimp
Makes 4 servings
- 1 pound jumbo fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 4 teaspoons hot sauce
- 4 (¼-inch-thick) slices fresh pineapple, quartered
- 1 cup coarsely chopped ham
- 3 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine shrimp, coconut milk, orange juice, and hot sauce. Seal bag, tossing gently to combine. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat grill to high heat (400° to 450°). Place a 12-inch cast-iron skillet on grill to heat for 15 minutes. Spray skillet with nonflammable cooking spray.
- Add pineapple to skillet; cook, turning once, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Remove from skillet. Add ham and green onion; cook, stirring frequently, until lightly charred, about 2 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- Drain shrimp, discarding marinade. Add shrimp to skillet; cook until pink and lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Return pineapple, ham, and green onion to skillet. Remove from heat; sprinkle with coconut, and serve immediately.