We use frozen vegetables in this simple soup for convenience, but if you have fresh vegetables on hand, they will work as well.
Hearty Southern Vegetable Soup
Serves: 2½ quarts
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- ¼ cup minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups diced red potatoes (about ½-inch cubes)
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1¼ teaspoons ground black pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh thyme
- In a large enamel-coated cast-iron Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes, broth, and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are just tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add frozen vegetables; cook until vegetables are heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in honey, thyme, salt, and pepper. Garnish with thyme, if desired.