This Homestyle Creamed Corn is bursting with fresh flavor and a rich texture.
Homestyle Creamed Corn
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 8 ears fresh yellow corn, kernels cut off and cobs reserved
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add corn kernels; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in cream, salt, and pepper.
- Using the back of a knife, scrape milk and remaining pulp from corn cobs into skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in chives. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes; stir in bacon before serving. Garnish with chives, if desired.
Kitchen Tip: Scraping the cobs releases the vegetable’s liquid, known as corn milk. This liquid is full of starches that help thicken the creamed corn and add flavor. We recommend using the sweetest varieties of corn available, such as Silver Queen and Ambrosia.