Hot sauce and chicken broth combine with collard greens to make the most delicious potlikker, perfect for sopping up with a wedge of cornbread.
Hot Sauce-Braised Chicken and Greens
Serves: 6 servings
- 6 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound chopped stemmed collard greens
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup hot sauce*
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Garnish: chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1½ teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. In a large enameled cast-iron Dutch oven or braiser, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, skin side down; cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add collards, chickpeas, broth, hot sauce, garlic, thyme, remaining 1½ teaspoons salt, and remaining ½ teaspoon pepper to pan; cook, stirring frequently, just until collards are wilted. Return chicken to pan, skin side up.
- Bake until chicken is golden brown and a food thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165°, 30 to 35 minutes. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
*We used Tabasco.