Perfect for any occasion, this cake is full of fresh lemon flavor.
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with Lemon Glaze
Serves: Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced, divided
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 11⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 11⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat granulated sugar and lemon zest with a mixer at medium speed until well combined, 3 to 5 minutes. Add butter, and beat until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping sides of bowl after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Fold in poppy seeds; pour into prepared skillet.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely. In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake.